Our History

Bird’s eye view of the Technion

The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, was established in 1912 as an engineering school called the “Technikum”. For many years the Department of Mathematics was a small service unit whose purpose was to provide courses in mathematics for engineering students.

In the early fifties, the Technion changed its course and transformed itself into a research-oriented university, creating in 1953 a science Department which consisted of three units: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. In 1957, the first Mathematics graduate was awarded with an academic degree and in 1962 The Department of Mathematics became an independent academic research-oriented unit.

In 1988 the Department established the Institute for Advanced Studies in Mathematics which in 2001 was renamed as the Center for Mathematical Sciences (CMS). It aims to promote research activities in diverse areas of mathematics and its applications, and develop international research cooperation by supporting a large variety of research activities, conferences, special lecture series, workshops, etc. Today we are considered as one of the leading mathematics departments in Israel and worldwide, ranked at the 51-75 place according to Shanghai 2018 Academic Ranking. In addition, our lecturers are often awarded with the Yanai Prize, a prestigious Technion prize for excellence in Academic Education. Our faculty are engaged in world-class research in many areas of both pure and applied Mathematics. These areas include: Algebra, Applied Mathematics, Combinatorics, Complex Analysis, Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, Functional Analysis, Geometry and Topology, Lie Theory and Ergodic Theory, Mathematical Physics, Number Theory, and Probability and Stochastic Processes. We offer a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs, both in pure and applied Mathematics, joint programs with other departments, youth activities and summer projects.